Tuesday, October 30, 2007

All That Is Solid Melts Into Air....

...to steal a title from Zach, that (I think) he took from Marx.

So, for those of you who haven't been following the roommate drama, let me catch you up: I'm sharing a flat with Cynthia, a Brazilian girl who isn't exactly conversational in English, and Ahmed, a Tunisian nutjob. Our landlord, Jiri is a Czech obstetrician who lives downstairs, but our rental contract is ACTUALLY with Cynthia's absent husband, Jarrik, who has the true contact with Jiři. Technically even Cynthia is subletting. Still with me? Even if you are, you may not be in a moment.

Due to some personality conflict BS, money problems, landlord not doing what he said he would, and a general desire not to be there on Cynthia's part, Jarrik told Jiři that he would be dissolving the contract. The governing clause in the contract states that notice must be given 2 months prior to departure, starting from the 1st of the month following the month in which the tenant gives notice. Therefore, Jarrik's Oct. 26th notice means that the count starts on Nov. 1st, which means that the contract officially dissolves on the 31st of December.

I found out about this the same day, thanks to a chance encounter with Jiři. I texted Jarrik, simply saying I needed to talk and what would be a good time to call. No response. Ahmed didn't know thing one. Jiři was rather surprised that we didn't know. Sunday morning, after several attempts to contact Jarrik, some of which Cynthia answered, we got an email from him. Very simple text stating that the contract would soon be ending, that everything would proceed as normal until then, and then Ahmed and I could renegotiate with Jiři if we so desired. No explanation, no reasoning, nada. Ahmed and I both were more than a little upset with his communication techniques, regardless of the fucking outcome.

Several factors are running through my mind at this point: I don't enjoy living with Ahmed, he's a pain and he tires me out. He pulls lots of shenanigans of the unfunny variety. I don't like Jiři, he's congenial but lazy and doesn't do what he says he will. I don't like the apartment enough to deal with either of those factors for much longer. Ahmed has made noises about solidarity and loyalty. (Does not hold water, despite the occasional twinge of guilt my thoughts are inspiring.)

I get to work on Monday and find out several more relevant factors: Maria & Gray have had lots of problems and Gray is moving out to find a place of her own. (Gray is just as crazy as Ahmed, albeit in a different manner. Not even thinking of moving in with her.) Emma is moving in with Maria because the landlord has told the school that he wants Emma & Kat out of the flat that had been rented for them. The school's plan was to move Emma & Kat into a crappy apartment on the edge of town that, rightfully, neither of them wants. Kat is attempting to move in with a guy we all know named Garith. There is much social twittering and upheaval, as well. I confided some qualms about ditching Ahmed to Brian, who quickly put the matter to rest by counter-confiding that he'd been really creeped out by Ahmed after a five minute conversation in a crowded bar.

Current thinking: I have already paid November's rent and I'll have to pay December's by the 15th of the month. My deposit on the apartment is one month's share of rent plus 1000 crowns (the plus equals several hours wages and odds are good that it will be eaten by misc. fees like Internet and adjusted utility payments). If I can get a place with Kat and Garith I'm contemplating pulling a disappearing act with all my possessions and just moving in with them, provided I can do it prior to paying December rent. Peace of mind and lesser level of bullshit seem worth the potential hit to karma points. I don't feel any particular loyalty to anyone involved in my living situation.

1 comment:

J. said...

Peace at home is worth almost any price. Strike first then apologize if necessary. Bad roommates can really, really mess up a good time.