Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ye Olde Stadium


FC Brno was once the city's well-respected football team. Brno still has a football team, but it's not really that respected. Really, I went to a match and thought, "If I'd grown up in Europe I would've had a shot a being a pro football player." Yeah, they're not that great. What remains from the halcyon days of Brno football is the stadium. Disused and fallen into disrepair, here it is.


I'm told that once upon a time thousands of fans would pack the place screaming and chanting and stomping. It would've been glorious. The last match there was 7 years ago. When I first saw it last fall there were trees taller than me growing in the stands. When I got there early this year someone had been out with a chipper to get rid of the biggest shrubbery. Rumor has it that it's going to be torn down and replaced with a new one. There are stirrings of anger about that in some quarters of the city. It is still a beloved place. After all, it's still got a bit of magic left in it.

No comments: